Northern Territory, Australia
There is unprecedented opportunity to invest in the growing space industry of Australia’s Northern Territory, specifically in:
- space launch
- high altitude pseudo satellites (HAPS) launch, recovery, research and development
- ground station operations
- downstream space industries.
Why the Territory
The Territory’s geographic location and climatic conditions provides significant advantages for launch, ground stations and HAPS including:
- southern hemisphere location and proximity to Asia
- proximity to the equator (creating cost efficiencies for launch operators and their customers)
- clear skies for much of the year, with low light pollution and limited noise interference
- ideal wind conditions for stratospheric balloon launch
With established logistics and construction industries, the Territory is capable of supporting the development of space infrastructure projects, including in remote locations.
A proven location
A number of major space organisations have recognised the Territory’s competitive advantages, including:
- Equatorial Launch Australia operating its commercial launch facility, the Arnhem Space Centre, near Nhulunbuy
- NASA launching a sounding rocket campaign from the Arnhem Space Centre in June / July 2022, its first from a commercial spaceport outside the US
- The HAPS Alliance acknowledging that the Territory’s conducive weather conditions and close proximity to key markets as strategic advantages for HAPS operators
- NASA, JAXA and CNES launching scientific high altitude balloon campaigns from the Alice Springs Ballooning Facility since the 1970s
- Geoscience Australia housing their ground station, that forms part of the Landsat Network, in Alice Springs
- Viasat constructing two commercial ground stations in Alice Springs to expand its Real-Time Earth Network
- ArianeGroup installing an optical telescope in Alice Springs to extend its GeoTracker space situation awareness network.
- OneWeb constructing a 14 antenna gateway site in Darwin to support its constellation of satellites
- LeoLabs selecting Arnhem Land as its preferred location for their Northern Australia Radar
Australia’s Northern Territory is the ideal place to meet the future demands of the global space industry. Get in touch to explore how the Territory can support your organisation’s growth plans and meet the future demands of the global space industry.
For further information on the space industry in the Northern Territory, go to the Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade website.
Executive Director Investment Attraction
Phone: +61 8 8999 5369
Disclaimer: This web page includes information provided by third parties. The information is general in nature and is for information purposes only. The Northern Territory Government makes no representation about the veracity or accuracy of information provided by third parties. You must rely on your own due diligence before proceeding. You should consider seeking independent professional advice.